I gave the Thursday Murder Club another chance but now I know this series (and type of mystery) is just not for me!! It was a great bedtime read because it put me to sleep very quickly :D.
What’s your favourite cosy mystery? Not sure if it’s just this series or the genre that’s not for me
What I enjoyed
- Compared to the first one, it was faster paced and there was more happening. The first 30% kept me interested as there were gradual reveals.
- I liked how the different subplots intertwined in the end.
What I didn’t enjoy
- There wasn’t enough setting around the Coopers Chase retirement home and the Thursday Murder Club gathering like there was in book 1. The characters Ron, Ibrahim, Elizabeth and Joyce sounded similar, if their dialogue was mixed up I wouldn’t notice. Although they were quirky they didn’t feel like retirees, but middle aged people sleuthing around.
- Why does it switch between third person to first person Joyce’s diary? A shift in writing style makes me expect some sort of development or reveal. However her chapters were incredibly boring and there wasn’t anything new to learn. But for people who enjoy the charm of these characters then Joyce’s chapters would be entertaining.
- There was a lot of meandering and tangents that I kept on losing focus. Beyond the 30% mark or so, the investigation and reveals were light and didn’t hook me in.
Overall I would recommend this if you enjoy light mysteries with humour, don’t take themselves too seriously and don’t mind some tangents. If you liked book 1 then I think you’ll likely enjoy this too! 🙂